National Oil Companies (NOCs) play a central role in the development of the international Oil & Gas industry. They control the majority of the global reserves and hydrocarbons production. Moreover, NOCs have the mandate to create value from the development of their own hydrocarbon resources, playing a central role in ensuring the energy supply for supporting national economic growth.
NOCs’ stakeholders and modus operandi are distinct from other Oil & Gas companies. Besides the expected high operational standards to create value from the hydrocarbon operations, NOCs are the champions of the national resources development and usually play a social - political role.
The Oil & Gas industry is under a phase of profound transformation. The energy transition and its alternative solutions to fossil fuels, skepticism about the future of the Oil & Gas industry, new digital technologies, industries convergence, and changes in customer preferences are reshaping the future. Leaders are in the process of discovering the meaning of these changes for their business strategy and operations.
This program brings together leaders from National Oil Companies and other industry stakeholders. Participants discuss current operational challenges and prepare themselves for the future by learning how to:
WU Executive Academy offers this program in cooperation with Arthur D. Little (ADL). ADL has more than 100 years of consulting experience in the Oil & Gas industry and is actively supporting National Oil Companies all over the world in transforming their management, processes, and resources in order to prepare them for the challenges of tomorrow.
The program takes place October 22-25, 2019 in Vienna, Austria.
The intended audience of this program are decision makers from National Oil Companies as well as their partners, suppliers, government representatives, and other stakeholders who want to get a comprehensive overview of industry trends and methodologies used to anticipate, innovate, and transform in the context of the NOC’s core mission. By bringing together experienced managers as well as future decision makers connected to National Oil Companies, participants will profit from one another’s experience and views on the energy industry future, to create different scenarios for NOC transformation and new roles.
Day 1: Overview of oil & gas macro trends
Day 2: Evolution of oil & gas operations
Day 3: NOCs management complexities
Day 4: Defining a proper efficiency model for NOCs
Prof. Jonas Puck
Jonas Puck is Head of the Institute for International Business and Full Professor at the Vienna University of Economics and Business. In addition, he is Academic Director of the MBA in Energy Management at WU Executive Academy. His current research interests lie in the overlaps of global strategy, finance, and political science, often with an industry focus on energy and extractive industries.
Alexandre Lavelle is a Partner at Arthur D. Little based in the Middle East, and is the Energy & Utilities Practice Lead for the Middle East. He has served a wide range of clients across the entire energy value chain, with twenty years of strategy consulting experience. Alexandre Lavelle's focus is on national oil & gas companies, and he has founded the national oil company competence center at Arthur D. Little – a knowledge house and thought leader on key challenges in the industry. His areas of expertise include strategy development, innovation management, organizational design, performance improvement, and E&P tax regime negotiation.
After completing the program, you will receive a participation certificate including course details from WU Executive Academy.
Partner | Arthur D. Little | Energy & Utilities Practice Lead | Middle East
- National agenda management & corporate strategy
- Growth strategy development
- Transformation, operations & production excellence
- E&P fiscal regime negotiation
- Technology & innovation management
Principal | Arthur D. Little Houston Office
- 12+ years of consulting experience with focus on strategy, organization, and energy policy for NOCs and IOCs
- NOC exploration strategies design for complex resources
- Unconventional hydrocarbons, oil price perspectives, petro-nationalism
Director | Arthur D. Little Americas
- 35+ years of experience in Oil & Gas
- Business Development, Exploration New Ventures, M&A, Strategic Planning, Management Consulting, Field Development, and Reservoir Engineering
Managing Partner | Arthur D. Little Latin America & Houston Office | Member of Global Energy Practice
- 25+ years of management consulting experience in the international oil and gas industry
- Energy policy, strategy development, and transformation in the hydrocarbons sector
- Publications and conferences around the world related to Oil & Gas trends and energy transition
Managing Partner | Arthur D. Little Buenos Aires Office | Member of Global Energy Practice
- 25+ years of consulting experience with focus on strategy and organization for NOCs and IOCs
- Refining expert with experience in conceptual design and feasibility of industrial complexes
- Strong experience in fuel and LPG distribution and retail segments
Principal | Arthur D. Little
- 15+ years of management consulting experience in the Energy sector with a focus on upstream oil and gas
- Consulting focus on strategy, organization, people management, portfolio management, process and operations, Carbon capture and storage and renewables
Partner | Arthur D. Little London Office | Risk Advisory
- 20+ years of consulting experience in elevating risk management maturity to drive business performance and reducing the Total Cost of Risk (TCOR) for Global 1000 corporations
- Key operational exposures, strategic advice to boards and senior executives on the implementation of balanced risk management strategies